You’ve got one week before the big golf outing and this year you want to make a big splash by playing the best golf of your life. Here are six key components of the golf swing that you should avoid in order to maximize your efforts in preparation for the big event.
- Gripping the golf club too tight – Tension in the golf swing is a serious impediment to creating a smooth, rhythmic swing that can naturally produce an impactful release of the club head through impact.
- Standing too far or too close to the ball at address – Whether your reaching too far or jamming yourself inside, it’s essential to make sure that your stance begins with your arms hanging freely down while gripping the club.
- Swaying instead of rotating during your backswing – Nothing removes a consistent ball position at impact than a sway that takes your center of gravity back and forth while making it extremely difficult for you to match your setup with the point of impact.
- Swinging the club with your arms instead rotating your body – The rotation of your chest and shoulders leading down to your hips helps generate the power and consistency of your golf swing while swinging the golf club with your arms virtually prohibits your core from performing effectively.
- Failing to begin the downswing by clearing your hips through the target – Reaching a fundamentally sound position at the top of your backswing can easily erased with an inefficient downswing that must be controlled initially by the rotation of the hips toward the target.
- Raising or lowering your head by altering your spine angle during the swing – Maintaining your spine angle throughout the swing provides the key point of the pendulum. Move this pendulum point and it’s anybody’s guess where your club will end up at impact.
As with most every golf swing tip, repetition is essential as it’s the best way to rapidly create positive muscle memory. Once your mind and muscles can experience what the right way feels like, your performance will improve drastically. So practice each of these golf tips and watch your scores drop.